Friday, September 24, 2010

Cute as a Bug?

Posted by: Stephi!

Are bugs cute? Halloween thinks they are. Take a look:

Kohl's Reversible Costume
This post's inspiration comes from an umbrella that I thought was cute at Target, however - ladybugs?? So overdone - take a look at this screen shot from my search: 



Although I do think the cute little doggy lady bug costumes are cute!
Anyway -- overdone, right?!

Then I got to thinking about how I don't even like ladybugs, and I rather hate them. Really it's ironic that people dress like them because if you look at them close, they are really not cute. Blach.



They gross me out, mainly due to horrifying experiences with them when I was younger.
Anyway, the costumes don't even look like bugs.
They really should look something more like this:

Find this costume here. 

Scary right!?
Lady bugs are scary. And bite. And draw blood sometimes. Sort of like vampires. 

Lady BLOOD is born! Take a look at my very elementary computer sketch of what this would look like (since I guess no one has actually done it and posted it on the internet! Can't imagine why...)

1. Get some black antennae. And not the ones with hearts attached. Preferably ones that look even a little segmented for a creepier feel. 

2. It's hard to tell, but this is pointing to her face. After looking at some pictures of ladybugs, I realized they have huge white looking eye things on the sides of their "face". So you ought to put some there too. Face paint the rest of your face black so it your huge white eyes will stand out. You can kind of see where you eyes would be (I drew the human face parts in grey for better visuals). 

3. So... these are pincer thing-a-ma-jiggers are not entirely based on reality... but Lady bugs/bloods have to eat somehow! Make these by using horn-like things you can get from a Halloween shop - or make them yourself by paper mache` or something else creative! Attach these to the face by spirit gum junk or anything else creative you can think of. Oh and tip the with blood of course... 

4. So lady bugs have three legs, so you can either add three arms or two arms and counts your legs as a set of one. I thought three looked a little more bug-like. You can make these scary claw-arms yourself by googling it on the internet. I have seen a number of different variation for different costumes that usually involve a backpack of some sort - take a look at the Shiva costumes here.  Make sure the arms and claws are black true to ladybug-ness

5. add some blood to those claw hands! You are lady blood after all! 

6. wear a red dress and add some black spots. You can figure out how to be creative with it. Also, I would probably wear leggings because I like leggings. Or you could be more sexy and wear thigh-high stockings. Or a less obvious sexy and just bare your legs. Or wear black all the way down your legs I suppose.

7. throw on some "killer" shoes. My choice - black pumps or red heels. 

8.  I forgot the hair part so I added it at the end - I would make it crazy and wild and teased up! Or you can have however you like... 

Now add some bug noises of your choice (I'm not sure what they would be - hissing?) and add that to your costume all night long. Yeah! Lady Blood! 

There you have it - another unique idea for Halloween! Choose this costume and you'll be as cute as a bug. Er... 



2 comments:

  1. I love it! Much better than the "cute" lady bugs. You're right, it's like these people don't know they're BUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only one concern, and that is that this costume may mislead young people into thinking that lady bugs are really arachnids. count your legs!

    ReplyDelete